Guinea Pigs need a LOT of supplies.
Click this link:Housing Infographic
Most pet store employees are not cavy experts, regardless of what they might claim, and they are trained to sell products, many of which are not in the best interests of your pet or are simply a waste of money.
Wasteful and harmful products include:
- Vitamin C drops for water
- Plastic "exercise" balls
- Treats with yogurt or seeds
- Pet store cages
- Litter boxes
Cube & Coroplast Habitats are Recommended
Visit this website: CavyCages.comPiggie Poo recommends that all of guinea pigs are housed in C&C habitats as pet store cages are just too small. Bigger is better, so opt for the largest cage possible.
Ramps & Lofts Are Not Recommended
Piggie Poo does not recommend two-level cages as ramp and lofts are opportunities for falls and injuries. Piggys are ground dwelling creatures and the most important thing to consider when selecting your C&C Habitat is open floor space i.e. square footage.
Wooden Cages Are Not Recommended
- Wood is porous and hosts bacteria and promotes fungal growth
- Wood is often treated with toxic chemicals and sealers
- Wood is eaten and may cause blockages or injuries
- Wood is eaten and the habitat may become structurally unsound
- Wood cannot be properly cleaned or disinfected